10 Useful tips to help you unpack with ease
You're all moved in and it feels so good to be in your new home, but the best part is yet to start; it's unpacking time!!!!! This is when you run around and open every single box trying to find a toothbrush, a rag, pots and pans and what have you. Having moved myself a few times before and having helped friends and family get through their moves, I've picked up a few tricks that have proved very helpful.
Here are ten unpacking tips that make life a whole lot easier.
1. Labelling your boxes helps you avoid breaking fragile valuables as they are loaded and unloaded from the moving truck. It also makes finding your essentials and nonessentials easily without having to open each and every box.
2. A little cleaning of the new home (if not done prior to moving in) can also prove to be necessary to get rid of dust and superficial dirt. This might also help you see some imperfections (if any to document) that you might have missed the first time you visited.
3. As you unload the boxes into your new home, make sure to place them in the correct areas or rooms of the house so you don't have to move them around a second time.
4. Open the essentials boxes first. These would normally be the boxes labelled kitchen (plates, cups, pots, etc.), bathroom (toothbrushes, soap, towels ) and bedroom. Let's face it, unpacking will take a few days; there is no going around that, especially if you just went through a whole shopping experience to buy new things for your new place. Setting up these three rooms first is essential.
5. A tool box always comes in handy when you are assembling furniture.
6. Set up the furniture so you have a place to sit and rest!
7. Take breaks, you will need it because unpacking can be exhausting.
8. Delegate and ask for help! You can't do it all by yourself.
9. Make it fun by giving yourself and everyone a goal like opening three boxes a day.
10. If you have smaller children, it would be a good idea to keep them occupied with games or have a friend or family member watch them while you unpack. But if you have older kids, they can join in the fun and help by unpacking their rooms. Less work for you.
We also have some tips on how to help you make your move easier
Any other ideas from your own experience? Please feel free to share them below.